How to debug nrpe host not allowed to connect ... ?

Christopher M Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Fri Jul 9 18:33:48 CEST 2004

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

My /etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg file has the following line in it:
allowed_hosts=127.0.0.1, 139.131.204.56

I've restarted nrpe (I'm running it from the command line, "nrpe -c
/etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg -d" and I have it in debug mode.  There is only one
instance of it running and I've restarted it.

However, I'm getting this in my logs:
Jul  9 12:20:17 lb2 nrpe[15753]: Host 139.131.204.56 is not allowed to
talk to us!

I only have port 5666 open on that machine and all other traffic is
getting dropped.  I can telnet to port 5666, and when I do it just
closes the connection immediately:
Trying 66.179.22.207...
Connected to lb2.b.
Escape character is '^]'.