Fedore Core 2? Stable to run nagios on?

Jason Byrns jason-sourceforge at microlnk.net
Fri Jul 9 18:05:27 CEST 2004

If you are worried about really serious stability, Core 1 is probably a
safer bet than Core 2.  Once you remove all unnecessary daemons from a
Core 1 system, it can be *very* stable.  (In my experience.)

In fact, I've had a Nagios monitor checking several hundred
services/hosts, every minute, for 4-5 months now.  On Fedora Core 1.
Never had even a minor problem.

I've heard it said before that Fedora Core 1 could be considered as
Redhat 9.1.  Since they switched to kernel 2.6, and Xorg, and whatever
else, with Core 2, that's more like a new Redhat 10.0.  And, you know,
avoid .0 releases at first.

That being said, since Core 2 was released, there have been a number of
updates to the kernel and other packages, and it seems much more stable
now than originally.  (Like, hey, the menubar up2date feature WORKS
again in Core 2!  Heheh.)

--
Jason Byrns
System Administrator, MicroLnk