Notification and check-host-alive problem

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Jul 7 21:27:19 CEST 2004

Roy Kartadinata wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I just have nagios installed and configured, so far its been running
> pretty good. Several things that I notice kinda wierd:
>
> 1. When I turned off imap daemon on one of our server, nagios detected
> that imap is down but it also shows check-host-alive as failed with
> error, /bin/ping -n -U -c 1 x.x.x.x, so nagios now showing both host
> and imap service as down.
> 2. Instead of service notification, I only receive host notification.

You need to set notification_period and notification_options properly in
the service object definition, as well as service_notification_period
and service_notification_options in the contact definition. In addition
to this, you must also be in the contactgroup which receives
notifications for the service (it's not enough to be a contact for the
host to receive notifications for its services). If all of that is set
up properly you should have a look at the service_notification_command
and the relevant timeperiods.

> 3. I turned imap daemon back on, nagios shows that it is up and
> running .. but no recovery notification like it should and host
> remained showing as down.

'r' is for recovery in notification_options for service objects, as well
as for service_notification_options for contact objects.

> Does anyone ever have this problem ? I'm using nagios 1.2 with plugins 1.3.1

Not when properly configured, no. Does the imap server normally respond
to PING? check-host-alive is (by default) just a check_ping with more
lenient values, you know.

--
Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson
OP5 AB