Segregation of networks

Robert Nelson rnelson at windchannel.com
Wed Jul 7 20:21:09 CEST 2004

I've been using Nagios for a while and I know a simple solution to this
question, but I'm interested in a different answer: If you have two main
classifications of monitored devices and you don't want them to be
accessible together, how would you set up one Nagios server to monitor
both sections and present both as different web sites?

In our case, we have two different internal divisions - we're a wireless
company that does Fixed Wireless Broadband in Raleigh, NC and also hotel
wi-fi installs. The FWB has an order of magnitude more devices, but
there are more hostgroups for hotels. When you use grouplist.cgi, this
makes for a HUGE link list on the left hand pane. I know I could put
this on two servers, but that would take another monitoring server and
require a second host to maintain config files/logins on.

I was wondering if there are any custom fields in Nagios, so that we
could use some sort of "if custom_field=FWB then display" when visiting
nagios.windchannel.com/fwb and "if custom_field=Hotels then display"
when visiting nagios.windchannel.com/hotels, to keep them separate.

Of course, a real tricky question is, is there a way to present each
section as their own web page, AND have an overall summary screen for
the guy who's on-call? :)

Rob Nelson
Network Engineer
Windchannel Communications