Using passive-only plug-ins

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Jul 7 20:10:53 CEST 2004

Earl C. Ruby III <mailto:earl at switchmanagement.com> wrote:
> How do you set up a passive-only plug-in without having it show up
> with a big red warning flag that says "SERVICE CHECKS DISABLED"?

These are the key variables --

active_checks_enabled           1       ; Active service checks are
enabled
passive_checks_enabled          1       ; Passive service checks are
enabled/accepted
check_period                    none

And here is the complete service template I use --

define service{
        name                            generic-service
        active_checks_enabled           1       ; Active service checks
are enabled
        passive_checks_enabled          1       ; Passive service checks
are enabled/accepted
        parallelize_check               1       ; Active service checks
should be parallelized
        obsess_over_service             1       ; We should obsess over
this service (if necessary)
        check_freshness                 0       ; Default is to NOT
check service 'freshness'
        notifications_enabled           1       ; Service notifications
are enabled
        event_handler_enabled           1       ; Service event handler
is enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is
enabled
        process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance
data
        retain_status_information       0       ; Retain status
information across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    none
        max_check_attempts              5
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            3
        notification_interval           10080
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            c,r

        register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS
DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!
        }
--
Marc