The Nagios: Reloaded (Rewriting Nagios)

Jeff Rodriguez nagios-users at gurugeek.com
Wed Jul 7 14:46:50 CEST 2004

Of course, it would be rather asinine of me to not do so :) I think I'd
have a little problem getting a patent on a "distributed monitoring
system" though :)

Our current monitoring box runs tests against 400+ hosts, 2700+
services, and runs over 1000 checks/minute. The company I work for is in
the top 500 fastest growing companies in the world. At our current pace,
we NEED to be distributed. You don't need a multiproc box to run a
multithreaded app, it just helps. The threading is mostly for sanity,
it's much easier to split up code into threads.

It's not a lack of tools to setup the Nagios configuration, the Nagios
configuration is inherently lacking in that it's not database driven to
begin with.

Read http://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2003/03/03/mcppp2.html for a
description of managed code.

GPL? No, I prefer BSD.