timeouts from one machine and not another

David Bishop tech at gnuconsulting.com
Wed Jul 7 01:57:05 CEST 2004

I have two nagios servers checking basically the same machines (we don't
need no stinking failover).  However, from one machine (A), I get a lot of
time-out errors on certain machines (it times out when checking smtp and
ftp) and on the other, I don't.  If I try it from the command-line (just
telnetting to the ports), it hangs for a long time (long being greater
than 10 seconds) but finally connects.  However, connecting to the same
machine from B, it's instantaneous.  Normally I'd suspect the network
connection between the two machines (client and A), but a reverse
connection works very quickly (connecting to A's smtp port), and they
are both on underutilized 1.5Mb lines.  Ping time between them (either
way) averages slightly over 100ms. The only real difference that I can
think of between A and B is that A is running FreeBSD 5.2.1 and B is
Debian/Sid.  The clients are all also running Debian (if that matters).

Help, please :-(

D.A.Bishop