front end management tool

Mark Shirley mshirley at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 16:38:41 CEST 2004

the use of the mysql database is a nagmin requirement not a nagios requirement.

nagmin takes an existing set of config files and creates a database
based on that.  at that point you use the gui interface to make
changes to the mysql database.  when you want the changes to take
effect you run a "verification" where it dumps the data from the
database into temporary config files and then tells nagios to do a -v
startup.  if that is sucsessful you then "activate" it where by it
does the same thing of dumping the mysql database into config files
and then it starts nagios normally.  this particular setup is
excellent if for some reason you try it and don't like it you can
always go back to using a simple text configs.

nagmin does NOT require your nagios to be built with mysql since
nagmin deals directly with nagios's config files.  i currently use
nagmin because of the pure number of hosts and services.  not to
mention the other people that i interact with must be able to
add/remove/change host and service records without having to edit
config files manually.  the major downside to nagmin is that you can't
EASILY go back and forth from nagmin to console config.  it's one or
the other because if you make a change to the temp config files the
changes will not be inserted into the mysql database and will be
overwritten the next time you do an verification or activation.

in comparison to the other options i found nagmin to be the best and
most stable for my enviroment.