Delayed notifications.

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Fri Jul 2 01:48:35 CEST 2004

I'm running the 1.2.0 Nagios rpms from DAG for RHEL3 right now.

I'm wondering if there's just some problem with nagios 1.2.0's
notifications?

Notifications have been semi-flaky at best. I had a server go
down yesterday morning at 4am.  Nagios noted this, marked an
alert, but didn't send out a notification until 1PM. Embarrassingly, we
only knew the server was down because an affected user called about it.

I'm finding this really hard to track, because the archived logs don't
seem to have a time stamp.

When I look on the web interface in Notification History for this host,
it only shows notifications at 1Pm.. Clearly Nagios saw the alert but
delayed 10 hours in sending out a notification.

My configuration file for this server is as follows :

define host {
  host_name                    some.server.name
  parents                      lbprod-gw-b.mypointsbeta.com
  alias                        some
  address                      IP.ADDR
  check_command                check-host-alive
  max_check_attempts           3
  checks_enabled               1
  failure_prediction_enabled   1
  retain_status_information    1