"Site logon simulator" (Was: Newbie question about Nagios)

Fri Jul 2 00:24:46 CEST 2004

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 08:45:10AM -0700, nagios-users-request at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:

> From: "Igor Sergejeff" <igor.sergejev at creanord.com>
> Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 12:23:49 -0700
> Subject: [Nagios-users] "Site logon simulator" (Was: Newbie question about Nagios)
>
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for reply. I actually need to log into the website through login
> form.

Yep.

You need to roll your own plugin to simulate a users

 . siting each web form in turn

 . filling out the form appropriately

 . seeing the next expected page show up

Tools to do this include :-

 Perl + HTTP::Recorder + WWW::Mechanize (all from CPAN; Perl >= 5.006)

HTTP::Recorder will make a machine redable record of your browser
session with the web server (recording all the stuff you send and what
it gets back) suitable for input to WWW::Mechanize, which will play it
back.

Both these modules are popular, well conceived and actively
developed. You can find a write up of HTTP::Recorder on http://Perl.COM/

A far cruder (more limitations and more work required by you)
approach is Nagios::WebTransact (I use this method and it is effective
on _common_ forms of this sort).

Other approaches that _may_ work with fill out forms are lynx and
webget. I generally only use these to examine the contents of single
page resulting from a GET request (since lynx can parse the HTML into
text, this is sometimes more useful than check_http).

> Any ideas will welcome.

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.