Monitoring Cron jobs

Enrique.Melero at reuters.com Enrique.Melero at reuters.com
Thu Jul 1 13:23:56 CEST 2004

On 07/01/2004 12:38:41 PM Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> > The contents inside the percentage marks are passed through stdin to the
> shell , as per
> > standard Visie Cron behaviour .
> >
> > The nagiosawareshell would capture STDERR and return status of the job and
> > send the correct info the the nagios.cmd pipe .
> >
> > Is this making sense ? or is there another better way ?
> >

> Seems like an awful lot of work to me. Why don't you just let the
> cron-jobs themselves send a passive service check result to the nagios
> pipe, and set the check_freshness options to something appropriate?
> That way the jobs themselves have to define whether or not they
> succeeded, which seems like the right way to go. If the job doesn't run
> at all, nagios sends alerts since the service-check goes stale
> (providing nice monitoring of the cron daemon as well).

Thanks for your answer.
 There are several reasons why I dont want to do it that manner:
1 If we ever change the way passive updates are done we would have to change each and any of the jobs.
2 Many of the jobs are like this
echo "update a set b=c where d " | mysql
and I cant figure out how to add there a passive update to notify OK or failure ...
3 I want to be able to group my jobs by service and be able to modify this without having to go
through each and any of the jobs
4 There are dozens of cron jobs and maintained by different people. Having to add monitoring to each
of them is far more effort than providing a generic solution based on standard return status and stderr generated by the jobs

regards
> --
> Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson
> OP5 AB