Monitoring Cron jobs

Enrique.Melero at reuters.com Enrique.Melero at reuters.com
Thu Jul 1 11:31:53 CEST 2004

Anyone has a good way to monitor correct running of cron jobs using nagios ?

We currently rely on mail to send stderr of the jobs. It would be a good idea
to attach a service to each of the cron jobs .

This could be done by defining a special shell that runs the jobs and will send
the correct status to a defined service.

My Cron would look like this:

MYSHELL=/usr/local/bin/nagiosawaresh
00 * * * *  check_Client_db_consistency   %DB Consistency Checking%
01* * * *  check_Products_db_consistency   %DB Consistency Checking%
02 * * * * *   my job 1 %Service 1 for which job 1 is important%
* 10 * * * *   my job 2 %Service 1 for which job 2 is important%

The contents inside the percentage marks are passed through stdin to the shell , as per
standard Visie Cron behaviour .

The nagiosawareshell would capture STDERR and return status of the job and
send the correct info the the nagios.cmd pipe .

Is this making sense ? or is there another better way ?

regards

the views of Reuters Ltd.