Load-Balance pools and Monitoring

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Thu Jul 1 05:33:07 CEST 2004

> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> I was pondering creating two definitions -- A "cluster" set of the systems
> for the availability metric, and then the current definitions so that I
> can
> be alerted if any member of the cluster is degraded.

Sure, I do just this very thing.

I have each individual server configured with the normal host up/down stuff,
and the service it provides to the cluster.  I have the service set to
alert only during "normal human hours," because quite frankly I don't
give a crap if I lose a backend webserver at four in the morning.  Not
worth the loss of sleep.  Another possibility would be to only alert
for a downed backend server once, and no re-notifications.

I also have a virtual server that tests the service on the load-balanced
failover IP.  If that sucker fails, it pages the on-call folks 24x7x365,
and escalates in 15 minutes to make sure people KNOW (some of us, myself
for one, have spotty pager coverage and don't get all of our pages).

Benny

--
"You were doing well until everyone died."
                                                    -- "God", Futurama