Load-Balance pools and Monitoring

Quanah Gibson-Mount quanah at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 1 01:11:44 CEST 2004

We have a series of systems that are currently load-balanced via software
mechanisms.  I know that Nagios has the method of lumping all the servers
into a single "cluster" for checking, but this doesn't exactly suite my
needs.

Basically, I want to be paged if any server in the pool is down, but I also
want it clear that

(a) A server being down doesn't degrade the service

and

(b) in the statistics area, it would be wonderful to be able to graph the
availability of the combined service, rather than the service on a single
machine

i.e., Graph the "http" service for www1-www9, instead of just the "http"
service on www1, the "http" service on www2, etc, all individually, which
really doesn't give me the availability metric I need.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I was pondering creating two definitions -- A "cluster" set of the systems
for the availability metric, and then the current definitions so that I can
be alerted if any member of the cluster is degraded.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer