check_log issues

Neil neil-on-nagios at restricted.dyndns.org
Sat Jan 31 04:13:04 CET 2004

Jason Martin writes:

> check_log is a shell script so should be fairly easy to examine.

Ok. I got SNARE working in one of my XP boxes. I've also configured my
linux's syslogd to accept logs from remote machine. I did a tail -f
/var/log/messages and YES, I do get the Events very fast.

I also did read check_log and followed the 3 TIPS. I added a command in
checkcommands.cfg. IIRC, I wrote it as

check_log -F /var/log/messages -O /tmp/nterror.log -q Error

I checked it first in the commandline and I got the eventlog that was
received from the XP. I tried it the second time, and I didn't get the same
message anymore. I think, this is how it's really supposed to be since it's
doing a diff.

Anyways, I started monitoring my XP. I was watching nagios frontend. The
first status that I got was kinda like "log initialized". Then just to make
my testing perfect, I didn't do anything for 5 minutes. So, on the XP, I did
some things to make it log an Error event. /var/log/messages got it but
nagios didn't change the status.

Is check_log really problematic? Are there other ways of monitoring this
kind of scenario? What am I missing?

Thanks again.

Neil