Nagios Notifications

Simon Kitching simon at ecnetwork.co.nz
Fri Jan 30 05:42:27 CET 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 07:24, Ron Huff wrote:
> I'm one of those implementors that does not come from a System
> Administration background.  I've successfully implemented much of
> the nagios monitoring system, but I'm having trouble with Notifications.
>
> I need help just setting up a simple notification command to use sendmail.
> I have sendmail functioning at the most basic level (I can send myself mail).
>
> Would someone send me a simple, 'command_line' for the checkcommands.cfg
> file that uses sendmail...the sample configs just invoke 'printf' ...I just
> need a little boost over this hurdle, rather than spending days digging thru
> sendmail docs...

I think you'll find the command in "misccommands.cfg" is using printf to
generate the *body* of the email, and piping this to the mail command:
  printf "email body" | /bin/mail -s "..subject.." rwhuff at ucdavis.edu

The /bin/mail app can act as a front-end to sendmail, ie it just does
some munging of parameters and invokes sendmail. It should "just work"
(tm) with sendmail without any problems.

Try "man mail" and ignore all the doco on interactive use.

Regards,

Simon