UNKNOWN status for check_ping based service

EmiQ eqescribano at yahoo.es
Fri Jan 30 12:45:53 CET 2004

Hi everybody.

I have installed Nagios 1.1 with standar plugins
version 1.3.1 and gd library 2.0.21, in a server Nec
Express5800 with Red Hat 9.

I have created some services 'alive' based in
check_ping command, to see if the hosts are up or not.
Well, it seems easy, but it doesn't operate
properly... the service status is UNKNOWN (orange) and
the status information is:

	PING UNKNOWN - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 1.60ms

So the host remain in 'UNREACHABLE' or 'DOWN' status
with PING UNKNOWN status information too, because I
suppose check-host-alive has a similar problem.

I don't think the problem is about main configuration
because other checks in different hosts (check_ldap,
check_tcp, check_dns and check_smpt) are going OK.

I reach without problems the servers by ping (as root
and nagios user).
I have probe check_ping at command line using the same
arguments nagios is using, and I have the same result
... PING UNKNOWN.
Also, I have recompiled and reinstall the plugins and
I have put ping and check_ping with SUID root...
I don't have more ideas and I don't know what I'm not
doing right.... PLEASE HELP!

Thanks in advance.
E.