host status refresh on web inconsistency

Neil neil-on-nagios at restricted.dyndns.org
Thu Jan 29 07:01:16 CET 2004

Hi guys,

This is what I have in services.cfg:

define service{
       use                             generic-service         ; Name of
service template to use

       host_name                       freebsd
       service_description             Apache Web Server
       is_volatile                     0
       check_period                    24x7
       max_check_attempts              3
       normal_check_interval           1
       retry_check_interval            1
       contact_groups                  freebsd-admins
       notification_interval           2
       notification_period             24x7
       notification_options            c,r
       check_command                   check_http
       }

Assuming current time is 12:59 and that the next check is at 1:00. I killed
Apache at 12:58. Now, once the time on my nagios server hits 1:00, I do a ps
ax|grep check_http. Yes, I can see check_http and after few seconds, it will
go away. Quickly, I go to my browser and click refresh button for a couple
of times. I noticed that before the status changes to CRITICAL, it's take
about 25 secs to 40 secs. The behavior is also the same once I start Apache.
It takes about 25 to 40 secs before it changes the STATUS to ok. Is this
normal? How would I configure nagios so that the status changes within 10 to
15 secs only?

And also, what can you say about my config above? Is it bad? If so, what is
the proper acceptable values in a production environment?

Thanks again.

Neil