multiple IP

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Wed Jan 28 13:55:12 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 16:14 +0100, Alessio Ciregia wrote:
> mmm, ok, but it what report to me? if an ip is down?

I should have been more specific. This is useful for the
check_host_alive that is the actual physical box. It will report OK if
either IP responds.

So when I have 2 IPs on a box, I set up 3 hosts:

Parent: 10.0.0.10,10.0.0.11
Sib1 10.0.0.10
Sib2 10.0.0.11

Then I run check_ping and the check_host_alive against parent, so if the
hardware dies, I only get one host down notification.

In my case, say Sib1 is the public port of a web server and Sib2 is the
private part. So I might define service checks for the child hosts as
follows:

Sib1: check_ping, check_http
Sib1: check_snmp (use to check load, CPU utilization, open network
connections, etc)

Hope that is a little clearer.

BTW, please try and keep followups on list.

--
Karl