Bug: NSCA 2.4 on OS X 10.3 (Was: NSCA daemon never writes to nagios.cmd or nsca.dump)

Mark Ferlatte ferlatte at cryptio.net
Tue Jan 27 19:27:30 CET 2004

Noah Leaman said on Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 02:06:35AM -0800:
> >Yup. 131K seems to be an awful lot but it could certainly be attributed
> >to the encryption method you are using. Just as a test, I would
> >probably
> >try using just simple XOR.
>
> It was and still is set to XOR... decryption_method=1

Try turning off encryption entirely for now; until there's data flowing,
there's no point in making it harder to figure out what's going on.

> The send_nsca command takes less than a second to run and finish so I
> dont think it's that. How do I enable debug on remote server? I added a
> debug=1 to the send_nsca.cfg file but it complains with a "Unknown
> option specified" when running send_nsca. The ktrace I sent you is with
> XOR.

send_nsca doesn't support debug in its config file AFAIK.

> When I run the send_nsca comand manually it replies with:
> 0 data packet(s) sent to host successfully.
>
> Is that normal? should it be 0 data packets? There is no packet loss
> between the systems.

No, that should say 1 data packet(s).

> I have setup nsca on another OS X 10.3 system and tried to get it to
> work by sending from the same system that the nsca daemon is running on
> and I get the same problem.
>
> To manually send it I used:
>
> /bin/echo -e "host.domain.com\tPing\t0\tPING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA
> = 443.71 ms\n" | /Users/noah/nsca/send_nsca -H 127.0.0.1 -c
> /Users/noah/nsca/send_nsca.cfg
>
> I attached an unedited ktrace/kdump output of exactly one send_nsca
> command in case it helps at all.

Can you turn off encryption, and ktrace both nsca and send_nsca at the same
time?