check_tcp behavior

nagios at acmecargo.com nagios at acmecargo.com
Tue Jan 27 18:27:08 CET 2004

I'm using the check_tcp plugin to check various ports that are open on many
of our boxes opened by homegrown applications. The developers are concerned
that the plugin might produce an output on the remote machine that would
cause issues with the application. My question to the list is; does the
check_tcp plugin simply look to see if the port is open, then closes the
connection? or is there any output sent to the remote host? If I was a
programmer/coder I imagine I could find my answer in the source for the
plugin but since I am not, I am at the mercy of more intelligent
individuals. Thanks!

Dylan