recovery notifications for hostgroup escalations ?

Gabriel L. Somlo somlo at acns.colostate.edu
Tue Jan 27 01:12:46 CET 2004

I'm trying to set up delayed notifications for host-down alerts using
host-group escalations.

So, here's the relevant part of my object data config file:

define host{
        check_command                   check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts              3
        notification_interval           1       ; once every minute
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r
}

define hostgroup{
	contact-groups bit-bucket
	members		....
	}

define hostgroupescalation{
        first_notification      10
        last_notification       10	; only notify once !
        notification_interval   1
        contact_groups          network-guys
        }

The idea is that, normally, host down alerts would be sent every
minute to the bit-bucket contact group, which is set up to never page
or email anyone for anything.

The tenth notification is sent to the network guys, essentially
ensuring they'll get notified only after the host has been down for 10
minutes or so.

Problem is, the network guys never get the recovery notification.

Am I doing something wrong in the config above, or is what I want not
supported (i.e., if the escalation contact-group was sent a 'down'
notification, it should get a recovery one whenever the thing comes
back) ?

I've used  retry_check_interval + notification_interval 0 +
max_check_attempts  to delay and limit the number of *service*
critical notifications, but can't use this with hosts since there's no
retry_check_interval for hosts ! (which means in essence that
max_check_attempts retries are executed one after the other, which is
not a good way to delay a notification :) )

Thanks much for your help,

Gabriel