Where have the cgi gone?

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Mon Jan 26 12:11:08 CET 2004

Bill James writes:

> I have been watching this thread for a little while now and I have only
> one question to ask Paul

A question which I answered earlier in the thread.  Ah, but you were
watching, not reading and understanding.

> Were you born with knowledge of *nix or did you have a mentor along with
> training to help you until you knew everything....

I had a couple of not very good books, the man pages, and the intelligence
to figure things out.  BTW, I do not claim to know everything.  There is
a lot I have never had any need to delve into, but if ever the time comes
I will read the relevant documentation, read the FAQs and do google
searches before asking questions on a mailing list.

> At least this guy was trying to learn...

The guy is a sponge.  He wants everyone to do his work for him, as his
most recent post shows.  He doesn't want to do anything for himself, he
just wants to take the easy way out by asking here.

> I even sent him my statusmap.cgi because his first post stated only
> that file was missing, if you bothered to really read his mail he was
> trying and was frustrated...

I did read his mail.  He was frustrated but wasn't trying to solve his
problems himself.  He wants to be spoon-fed with answers, and he will
continue in that fashion for as long as people like you are willing to
do all his work for him.  BTW1: sending somebody an executable compiled
on a different hardware platform, different flavour of *nix, or even a
different version of a Linux distro is unlikely to work.  BTW2: even
if it works, accepting something compiled by somebody else is a major
security risk.

> If you were employed by me you would be outside looking in and wondering
> what just happened

Then we should both consider ourselves fortunate.  I would not wish to
be employed by somebody so clueless as to send executables to other
people.

> I agree with Jamie... /dev/null for you

Your loss.

--