how to check routers?

Greg Alexander greg at netgraft.com
Fri Jan 23 22:38:29 CET 2004

Hi -

We have a router that is listed as a "parent" in most of our host
definitions, but if I take down any of these hosts, it doesn't seem
to check if the parent is down.  The router remains at state:

     (Host assumed to be up)

The only service on this host is not rechecked, nor is the host status
(apparently).  I still get notifications for the individual hosts, even
though the parent is down.  Since it is a router, the only service check
for this host is essentially a host check:

define service{
        host_name                       gw-router
        service_description             ALIVE
        max_check_attempts              10
        notification_options            n       ; our T1 is flakey
        check_command                   check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
        }

And it is not checked often enough to show a problem before the alerts
are sent out.  Shouldn't a failure in a "child" host trigger a host
check for the gw-router host even though none of the services on
gw-router have indicated problems yet?

The T1 operates as a switch so the hosts appear as "DOWN" rather than
"UNREACHABLE".  gw-router is actually a router on the other end of the
T1 that conveniently goes AWOL with everything else (and that we trust
to never crash of its own accord, knock on wood)...

Any advice?

Thanks,

- Greg