output more than 80 characters

Mark Wagner markwag+nagios at u.washington.edu
Fri Jan 23 22:08:56 CET 2004

On 23 January 2004 at 12:14, "Paul L. Allen" <pla at softflare.com> wrote:

> Ewan Leith writes:
>
> > If so, maybe there is a maximum limit of 80 characters in the nagios
> > web pages too.

> My own feeling on this is that the significant part of the output should
> be kept short, but there may be additional info.  I.e., the output of
> check_disk on a system with several partitions starts with the important
> "DISK OK" and then shows actual space used on each partition.  On a pager
> the most important part is "DISK OK" or "DISK CRITICAL" but on the web
> display or in e-mail notification the extra information is useful.

>From <http://nagiosplug.sourceforge.net/developer-guidelines.html#AEN63>

	Nagios will only grab the first line of text from STDOUT when
	it notifies contacts about potential problems. If you print
	multiple lines, you're out of luck. Remember, keep it short and
	to the point.

This is one feature of Nagios that I don't like too much. I think
there should be the possibility of more verbosity, e.g.,
$OUTPUT$ has the first line and the rest would be in $EXTOUTPUT$.

--
Mark Wagner markwag at u.washington.edu 206-598-0302
Unix System Administrator, Radiation Oncology and Radiology