output more than 80 characters

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Fri Jan 23 13:14:11 CET 2004

Ewan Leith writes:

> If so, maybe there is a maximum limit of 80 characters in the nagios
> web pages too.

There may be a limit on the web pages but, if so, it's a lot higher
than 80 characters because I have output from plugins with a lot more
than 80 characters.  The plugin development guidelines suggest keeping
the output short because it may be sent as a pager message.

My own feeling on this is that the significant part of the output should
be kept short, but there may be additional info.  I.e., the output of
check_disk on a system with several partitions starts with the important
"DISK OK" and then shows actual space used on each partition.  On a pager
the most important part is "DISK OK" or "DISK CRITICAL" but on the web
display or in e-mail notification the extra information is useful.

Of course, it would help if the guy told us what plugin he wanted to
modify and why.  There may be a better way of doing what he wants to do,
or what he thinks he wants to do isn't sensible in the first place.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support