Bug: Redhat 9: Compile Problem:

Karl R. Balsmeier karl at sfdata.net
Fri Jan 23 09:51:26 CET 2004

help mang...

Bug:
The error below is encountered when compiling from nagios-1.1.tar.gz on
Redhat 9.

Command Used:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/nagios --with-cgiurl=/nagios/cgi-bin
--with-htmurl=/nagios/ --with-nagios-user=nagios --with-nagios-grp=nagios

Error:
configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

Cross Compiler Locations:
/usr/bin/gcc296
/usr/bin/i386-redhat-linux7-gcc

Output from $PATH (which shows /usr/bin is present, -gcc should work, right?
But contains a nifty error in it's own right):
-bash:
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin:
No such file or directory

Question:  This looks a bit nettlesome, can someone explain how to proceed?
 I'm looking for a command line really, I understand it can't find the cross
compiler, and that I need to include it in my PATH, -but i'm using so many
Unices and Linuxes it's just a matter of being specific to this Redhat 9 box
about fixing this environment variable.

To clarify further the completed question is "Which shell_env file do I
fix?, I've already looked at /etc/profile and ~/.bashrc, and have
experimented with pathmunge to no avail"

Philosophy:
We should just turn Mars into a giant Beowulf or Openmosix cluster, perhaps
that will keep it from swallowing all [y]"our" spacecraft.  Of course we
would monitor this with Nagios.  Help me, I harbor vast quantities beer,
submerged within the Bay.

-karlski