Solaris 5.8 compile statusmap.cgi problems

Jack F. Bowen Jr. jbowen at ionx.org
Fri Jan 23 05:45:06 CET 2004

All-

I noticed that there were several people who had problems with the compile
of nagios on solaris and wished to relate some of my experience in doing
so.
I was able to get it to work but was having problems with statusmap.cgi in
libgd there were unresolved references to libjpeg and I finally tracked it
down to the Makefile in the cgi directory.

There is a line that reads

GDLIBS=-lgd -lpng -lz -lm

That needs to be changed to read

GDLIBS=-lgd -lpng -lz -lm -ljpeg

This helped to resolve the linker error I was recieving.

Here is the config I used to get this to work

So like a 5 year old here goes...

First I installed from source the needed libs and tools except xpm.

in this order

I patched the system first but this is not shown here.

gunzip xpm-3.4k-sol8-sparc-local.gz  # obtained from http://sunfreeware.com
pkgadd -d xpm-3.4k-sol8-sparc-local

gunzip make-3.80-sol8-sparc-local.gz # obtained from http://sunfreeware.com
pkgadd -d make-3.80-sol8-sparc-local

gunzip gcc-3.3.1-sol8-sparc-local.gz # obtained from http://sunfreeware.com
pkgadd -d gcc-3.3.1-sol8-sparc-local

# set these variables
# This assumes that the make install is done as root but the compile is
done as joe_user aka you and you know how to do that.
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib:/lib; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH;
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/ucb; export PATH

gunzip < jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz | tar xvf -
cd jpeg-6b ./configure
make
make test
make install
make install-lib

cd ..

gunzip < zlib-1.2.1.tar.gz | tar xvf -
cd zlib-1.2.1
./configure
make
make test
make install

cd ..

gunzip < libpng-1.2.5.tar.gz | tar xvf -
cd libpng-1.2.5

cp scripts/makefile.solaris Makefile
make
make test
make install

cd ..

gunzip < gd-2.0.20.tar.gz | tar xvf -
cd gd-2.0.20

./configure --disable-shared
make
make install

# This assumes you have had problems and need to run make devclean but have
alerady
# run gunzip < nagios-1.1.tar.gz | tar xvf -
cd nagios-1.1

make devclean

./configure \
--prefix=/opt/nagios \
--with-nagios-user=nagios \
--with-nagios-grp=nagios \
--disable-shared;

then I edited the nagios-1.1/cgi/Makefile as shown above
and ran

make all

all was good!

Hope this helps someone else looking to get nagios up and running on
Solaris.

Thanks,
Jack