parents question again

Quanah Gibson-Mount quanah at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 22 21:12:14 CET 2004

--On Thursday, January 22, 2004 3:04 PM -0500 Matt Pounsett
<matt.pounsett at cira.ca> wrote:

>> > Right.. but if you're not getting dependancies, then you've broken the
>> > way the parent/child relationship is intended to work.
>>
>> Well, you still won't get this with how nagios currently works right
>> now,  anyway, because you draw the parent/child relationships as they go
>> to  Nagios, not how they are dependant on one another.  Using your own
>> example,  if my one and only nagios server is on switch 2, which is
>> dependant on  switch 1, switch 2 would still need to be the parent of
>> switch 1 for Nagios  to function correctly.
>
> Huh?
>
> Yes, you do get proper dependancy relationships right now.   If your one
> and only nagios server is connected to switch 2, then switch 2 is the
> parent of switch 1.  Accessing switch 2 from the nagios server is not
> dependant in any way on switch 1 being accessible.

I think we are talking about dependencies in different ways. ;)  If switch2
is wired through switch 1 with a cross-over cable, it is in many ways
dependant on switch 1 for general functionality, which is the type of
dependency I thought you were talking of in your diagram.  Yes, you get
proper parent/child relationships in relation to Nagios, but you don't get
overall network dependencies is my point.  Anyway, if you can specify what
switch a given Nagios server is connected to, with everything else having
its parents defined, then Nagios should be able to easily build the
parent/child maps from its point of view, regardless of where it is
attached into the network.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount