parents question again

Matt Pounsett matt.pounsett at cira.ca
Thu Jan 22 20:51:23 CET 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> Oh, I already posted my idea. ;) Have the nagios.cfg file define the parent
> for the nagios server.  As long as every host/switch/router has their
> parents defined, nagios could easily build the map based on who its parent
> is (what switch it is connected to), regardless of where it is located...
> Then the hosts configuration files can be the same across multiple nagios
> servers.  You almost get network dependency map too. :P

Not so.  Take this simple case as an example:

                          Nagios Server A

              Host ii ---   Switch 1 ----- Host i

              Host iii ----  Switch 2 ----- Host iv

                             Nagios Server B

The perspective of Nagios Server A is that Switch 1 is the parent of Switch 2.
Nagios Server B's perspective is that Switch 2 is the parent of Switch 1.
Simply telling each Nagios server which switch they're connected to won't
adjust the dependancies as you appear to desire.

--
Matt Pounsett                 CIRA - Canadian Internet Registration Authority
Technical Support Programmer                    350 Sparks Street, Suite 1110