Broken statusmap in Nag: gd headers (gd.h) ?

Thu Jan 22 06:34:24 CET 2004

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:16:34PM +0800, Brad Dunn wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your help stanley? Is there anywhere I can obtain
those
> header files for those image packages? Rpm would be nice . I would use

that I am copying this reply to Nag-users so that people more
knowledgable can issue corrections.

> rpm find but am a bit confused about the filenames

The problem is that statusmap will not build because configure fails to
build the gd/png test program

> I did notice one thing that makes me think it might not be zlib,
>
> It displays
>
> checking for gdImagePng in -lgd (order 1)... no
> checking for gdImagePng in -lgd (order 2)... no
> checking for gdImagePng in -lgd (order 3)... no

This _could_ be caused by your system missing the headers (in files that
for gd-1.x are named 'tsitc> ls /usr/local/include/gd
gd.h            gd_io.h         gdcache.h       gdfontg.h
gdfontl.h       gdfontmb.h      gdfonts.h       gdfontt.h
tsitc> ')

Unfortunately, I don't run Linux/RPM systems so I cannot be very
specific or helpful.

A quick google for

'gd devel rpm'

returns

http://www.hklpg.org/RPM/gd-devel.html

These are architecture specific (i386, PPC, alpha ...) etc RPMs
containing the libs _and_ the headers which you need to compile apps
with.

I think you need,

- the arch corresponding to your machine

- correct gd version (1.x)

but I don't know too much about the RPM way of doing things.

I complete guess would be

gd-devel-1.8.4-10.i386

You need to check this out _thoroughly_ because the RPM almost certainly
will install the libs (as well as the headers) and this could break
existing apps (how you check it out is hard; I have no good answer.).

Perhaps there needs to be a Nag FAQ 'where are the RPMs for the
pre-requisite packages [gd and friends]'.

Nag FAQ
http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=194&expand=false&showdesc=false

deals with this problem and provides unfortch no more information about
which RPMs you need.

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.