Notification not being passed to mailer

Pete Emerson pete at theemersons.org
Wed Jan 21 23:28:46 CET 2004

Nagios 1.1 was working great. I love it. Much better than Big Brother,
IMHO. Now, though, my notifications are not being sent to my email, and
I can't for the life of me figure out what has changed (I had to reboot
the machine, by the way). Some help and/or pointers to things to check
would be great. I've been reading documentation and Googling, and now my
eyeballs are crossed, so here I am.

Critical messages get logged properly in /var/log/messages.
I also see them in /usr/local/nagios/var/status.log and nagios.log:

[1074723846] SERVICE ALERT: db01;TEST_CHECK;CRITICAL;HARD;1;ERROR

However, I do NOT see them on the web (Reporting --> Notifications) any
more. I also do not see any attempts from Postfix for delivering these
messages. All I see on the Nagios web and in /var/log/messages are old
ones that were successfully sent to me before things broke, not new
ones.

I've also tested the /usr/bin/mail script that Nagios is using to send
out mail, and it works fine, and other mail is working fine, and I
didn't change that script in misccommands.cfg anyway, so I don't believe
Postfix is to blame.

Could it be a permissions issue, perhaps? Everything in the Nagios
directory is owned by nagios:nagios except for the nagios.lock file. Any
and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Pete