Nagios running on Irix, Unicosmp, linux

Mark Dalton mwd at cray.com
Wed Jan 21 03:39:41 CET 2004

I tooks some time and was able to get Nagios running on the Cray X1
(Unicos_mp).  As well as, on Irix.   For both of those I am using
NSCA until I get NRPE working or use the SSH tricks to do the checks.
(for me one issue will be getting the schedules out of the database).
I have one minor bug to work out on the Cray side (just the $OUTPUT$
getting spit out by the submit_check instead of actual data).. sigh.

If you wish I will make a formal patch and send it out.

So I am currently just monitoring a few machines:
      1 - Cray X1
      3 - Irix O2000's
      3 - linux boxes

Later it will be:
      3  - Cray X1s
      3+ - Misc other Crays (SV1,T3E,T90,etc).
  50-100 - Linux boxes
      5  - Sun boxes
    1-2  - AIX boxes

And eventually probably more if other groups are interested.

I was wondering if others have already setup more graphing features
within Nagios.  More detailed than the 'trends' data, basically
how the performance was over time..  Something like this:
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/gallery/aragon-01.html
Using rrdtool.  Or for example taking 'sar' data, and allow you to pick
your metrics.   To help see more of the usage trends.(that would be
about the only thing I would like added from the default).

I monitor raid disks, disk space, temperatures, load, ping times, soon
NFS performance to specific machines/filesystems, and a few other things
like the daily compiler is working.

Anyway.. I was happy to see Nagios and get it running across the various
platforms.   I am sure I will have a few more bugs to work out, but it
did not take much work for me to get these systems setup and ported to
other platforms (that don't have Dynamic libraries or some tools).

Thankyou for your fine work!

Mark