check_by_ssh

Brian Hendrix bhendrix at stthomas.org
Tue Jan 20 23:53:41 CET 2004

Well, I found my problem, guys, and do I feel stupid. If I were smart, I
would not admit this on the list.

Benny, when I saw in your email the following:
ping <hostname>
ping 100.1.30.31

I realized that was NOT the address for my remote host. The IP address
was wrong in the hosts.cfg

I AM NOW WORKING VIA SSH !!

Anyway, I now know more about SSH than I ever wanted to. I also learned
that the check_by_ssh command takes a "-1" (minus one) parameter for
rsa1 that is not part of the -h help.

THANKS for all the assistance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ><> ~~~
Brian Hendrix
Team Leader
DTR Services
Saint Thomas Health Services
2000 Church Street
Nashville, TN  37236

bhendrix at stthomas.org
(615) 284-5297 (work)
(615) 222-1704 (fax)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Whatever you do, do your work heartily,
as for the Lord rather than for men
    - Colossians 3:23
~~~ ><> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>>> "C. Bensend" <benny at bennyvision.com> 1/20/2004 4:08:17 PM >>>

> I tried the check_by_ssh command with the "-1" (minus one) option
from
> the command line:
> check_by_ssh -1 -H <hostname> -C <command>
> (without a passphrase)
>
> Amazingly, it worked. I believe the "-1" says to use ssh protocol 1.

OK, so sshd on the remote host is accepting protocol 1 connections.

> However, when I edit my services.cfg and checkcommands.cfg to
include
> the new option, I get:
> ssh: connect to address 100.1.30.31 port 22: Connection refused

>From the nagios machine, can you provide the results of (as user
nagios):

ping <hostname>
ping 100.1.30.31

ssh -1 hostname
ssh -2 hostname

Benny

--
"Have you ever tried simply turning off the TV, sitting down with your
children, and hitting them?" -- Bender, "Futurama"

reporting any issue.

Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including any attachments, contains
information that is confidential and/or legally privileged. The information is intended
only for the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient or the
person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that
you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, distribution,
forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this email in error, please purge it immediately and notify the sender.