Comparison of Big Brother and Nagios

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Tue Jan 20 19:12:17 CET 2004

Matt Pounsett writes:

> I should point out that "advertize" is the correct spelling in many
> places in the world. :)

Not in the UK or the US, it isn't.  Going by the spelling in Nigerian
4-1-9 scams, it may be the correct spelling in that country.

Due to the UK's employment of under-qualified teachers in the 60s and
afterwards, those under 50 in the UK were taught a lot of bad spelling
and to use 's' where they should use 'z' but 'advertise' is not one of
the words affected.  A rule of thumb (which has a couple of exceptions
in each direction) is that if there is a verb formed by dropping the
'e' and adding 'ation' then it should be spelled with a 'z' otherwise it
should be spelled with a 'z'.  There is no verb 'advertization' (unless
it crops up in Dubya-speak)  You'll recognize some of the exceptions, I
expect.

All of which is totally off-topic, so reply to me rather than the list,
if anyone feels tempted to respond.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support