parent host relatiionship

Matt Pounsett matt.pounsett at cira.ca
Tue Jan 20 18:17:50 CET 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Neil wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> Sorry about my statements. It was really confusing. Anyways, if I configured
> it with d,u,r, does it mean that I will get DOWN and UNREACHABLE email
> messages when srv-a or srv-b goes really down?

No.. "down" and "unreachable" are mutually exclusive... a host can only be in
one state or the other at any given time.  If Nagios can contact a host's
parent(s), but not the host, then the host is down.  If Nagios cannot contact
the host's parent(s), then the status of the host cannot be known, so it is
marked as unreachable.

--
Matt Pounsett                 CIRA - Canadian Internet Registration Authority
Technical Support Programmer                    350 Sparks Street, Suite 1110