Checking CPU Utilization - Take2

Mark Reis mcr2z at cs.virginia.edu
Tue Jan 20 16:40:31 CET 2004

I've been experimenting with iostat and I just realized that it has one
major drawback. When you run iostat once under solaris and linux, it only
reports the cpu % average for the entire time the system has been powered
up. The same goes for vmstat.

Any other suggestions of a utility that will run once then return the cpu
status and quit?

-Mark

Here is an example of how load is not helpful for my problem. The dnetc
client is using all of the cpu cycles and as you can see the load is very
low.

last pid:   684;  load averages:  1.09,  1.03,  0.89              10:37:48
39 processes:  37 sleeping, 1 running, 1 on cpu
CPU states:  0.0% idle, 99.2% user,  0.8% kernel,  0.0% iowait,  0.0% swap
Memory: 512M real, 271M free, 66M swap in use, 2345M swap free

   PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE    TIME    CPU COMMAND
   472 root       2   0   19 2416K 1880K run     27:53 97.18% dnetc