problems with notifications

Luke Worthy luke at advancen.com
Sun Jan 18 02:52:17 CET 2004

I am setting up nagios to use the check_http plugin to check for certain text
on a web page, indicating that the backend server that displays this text is
running.  When the plugin fails, the log says this:

SERVICE ALERT: jenner;TOMCAT-HARROP;CRITICAL;HARD;1;HTTP CRITICAL: string not
found

but there is no notification!  but when it recovers, Nagios sends a
notification *argh*:

EXTERNAL COMMAND: SCHEDULE_FORCED_SVC_CHECK;jenner;TOMCAT-HARROP;1073878174
[1073878179] SERVICE ALERT: jenner;TOMCAT-HARROP;OK;HARD;1;HTTP ok: HTTP/1.1
200 OK -   0.149 second response time
[1073878179] SERVICE NOTIFICATION: luke;jenner; TOMCAT-HARROP;OK;
notify-by-email; HTTP ok:  HTTP/1.1 200 OK -  0.149 second response time

here is the setup for the services.cfg:
define service{
        use                             	generic-service
        host_name                       jenner
        service_description          TOMCAT-HARROP
        is_volatile                     	0
        check_period                   24x7
        max_check_attempts              1
        normal_check_interval           2
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  luke-gr,dom-gr,carl-gr
        notification_interval           15
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            c,r
        check_command                   check_tomcat_h
        }

learly I have asked it to send notifications for recovery (which works) and
for critical problems which this plugin seems to say it is.  I thought it was
because it was not a "hard" problem, so I changed the max_check_attempts to 1
to make it always "hard", thinking this would solve it, but it didn't :(

Any ideas?