statd on solaris

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Fri Jan 16 15:36:30 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 14:47, Neil wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> I only have just read about statd to monitor solaris' diskspace, cpu and so
> on. But my question is, is this statd ready for production? Does it have any
> remote vulnerability? Please send me some inputs of how you think about
> statd daemon.

statd != rstatd.  I believe statd is the one that's part of NFS, and
rstatd is the one you use for monitoring statistics remotely.

I believe both have probably had security problems at some time in the
past, but if you stay up to date on patches, Bob's yer Uncle.  I believe
neither have had as many problems as sendmail or ethereal or KDE.