Questions on compilation, plugins, and trending..

Doug Peterson nagios at muck.net
Thu Jan 15 20:26:10 CET 2004

Howdy --

New user.. I'm reading through all the docs I can, but if I ask a dumb
question, please just give me a gentle push in the direction of the docs :))

Question 1) While compiling nagios 1.1 (redhat 7.1), even though I didn't
specify jpeg support, and jpeg support was not found (because I don't have
libjpeg!), every time I went to compile nagios CGI's it would complain about
an undefined reference to ImageCreateFromJpeg..

So in cgi/statusmap.c I commented out line 2221 and 2222:
        else if(!strcasecmp(ext,".jpg") || !strcasecmp(ext,".jpeg"))
                im=gdImageCreateFromJpeg(fp);

As long as I don't want jpeg's, that won't be a problem right? There should
be no problems using png's exclusively right? :)

Question 2) I'm now about to install plugin's, and the RPM installed them in
a directory structure other than /usr/local/nagios (where my install is
located).. so I uninstalled that, and downloaded the source.. and I notice
that the default is to use directories other than /usr/local/nagios as
well.. is this ok? will nagios find them? Should I set the prefix to
/usr/local/nagios ?

Question 3) One of the things I would like to do with nagios is trend stats
from servers over time.. so I want to poll windows CPU utilization via SNMP
every 5 seconds, log it, and be able to pull it up in 6 months to get a
report... and show what the CPU utilization was.. not just if it went over a
threshold.. I realize this will be disk heavy.. Is this possible, and if so,
mind pointing me in the right direction?

Question 4) If I'm going to be holding a ton of stats, I might want to
switch over to logging everything in mySQL (or SQL Server?).. Is there a
tutorial someplace online abouts toring this info in MYSQL?

Thanks! :)

--
Doug Peterson