Combining services for one histogram

Cory Hollingsworth Cory.Hollingsworth at pima.edu
Thu Jan 15 16:59:29 CET 2004

I've set up Nagios 1.1 to monitor a variety of services in our DMZ.  I would like to set up a host type for each high level service so we can get a histogram of the high level service.

For instance, email consists of 47 separate services I'm monitoring with Nagios spread across 5 machines.  I'd like to set up a single service which will be registered as critical if any of the 47 services that make up EMail register as critical.

I've tried setting up servicedependency's but have had no luck yet at getting the desired behavior.

Does someone know of a good way of doing this in Nagios.  At this point the only thing I can think of doing is write my own check which will redundantly check the 47 services and give an OK or critical based on it's result, but that seem inefficient.

Any one else trying to do this with Nagios?