How to ignore "Socket timeout" notifications, anyone?

MT Morales nagios at pensol.net
Wed Jan 14 17:36:57 CET 2004

Here is some info of my setup:
nagios 1.1
kernel 2.4.20-20.8smp,rh8.0(recompiled from source)
~2000 active checks
500 hosts

Every time I make configuration changes and reload nagios (i.e. using
the reload option), active checks to hosts with 10-20 services
collision (i.e. nagios scheduler stops doing smart checks) and multiple
checks are executed at the exact same second to the same host (yap,
many of our hosts can handled very limited number of simultaneous
connections on the same tcp port, and it would be too much work to fix
this issue on every one of them at this point.

And yes, we have tweaked all the paramaters we could possibly tweak in
nagios.cfg. We have even recompiled the kernel in rh8.0 to solve the
pipe-wait issue by making the pipe size larger, and has helped a lot.

This problem clears on the next round of checks but, in the meantime,
our on duty operator gets a bunch of CRITICAL alarms notifications
about "Socket timeout error.." on services.

I was thinking of a couple of work arounds:
-Modify the check plugin to return a different status code for socket
timeouts
-Modify the notify command(s) to filter out alerts with "Socket
timeout" messages.

So before I try to reinvent the wheel, could someone suggest a
simpler/cleaner approach to the problem?
TIA
-tomas