[OT] Posting etiquette (was Problems with NRPE)

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Jan 13 23:57:33 CET 2004

Guys,

What is the point of this entire discussion? The Internet is not the
same as it was 10 years ago when we all used mutt/pine/elm. Some people
are going to top post either because they find it convenient, their mail
client doesn't properly prefix the quoted content or that's the only way
they know how to respond (thanks Microsoft). On the other hand, some
people will reply in context, at relevant locations within the quoted
text. Likewise, some people are going to snip content down to the
minimum necessary and others are not. No matter how much discussion
ensues on this matter, unless you intend to force every list member to
read and abide by a posting rules document and moderate this list to
approve or reject every post based on those rules, I personally find
this entire discussion irrelevant. New users to this list (and there are
always new users) are not going to troll the archives looking for this
thread. If anything comes of this, I think the best we could hope for
would be a posting guidelines document linked off of
http://www.nagios.org/mailinglist.php and perhaps a monthly mailing of
that same document to the list but that's it. It's not a foolproof
solution and no matter what, the things you're complaining about will
still happen.

The same points apply to HTML v.s. plaintext email as far as I am
concerned. While I prefer to send in plaintext, when I respond from some
mobile devices I just don't have an option to choose.

--
Marc