NEED HELP configuring NSCA with INETD

Michael Tucker mtucker at airmail.net
Tue Jan 13 20:52:40 CET 2004

On Tuesday, January 13, 2004, at 08:13  AM, Phil Costelloe wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> I've had a look over the config you sent and can't see anything
> obviously wrong. I run nsca using xinetd rather than inetd+tcpwrappers.
> The common parts of our setups seem functionally the same - that plus
> the message you're getting suggests a problem with inetd/tcpwrappers.
> The inetd.conf line looks fine but have you restarted inetd since you
> made the changes? Obvious I know but I have to ask. :) Which leaves
> tcpwrappers looking suspect. You could try temporarily broadening the
> line in /etc/hosts.allow to make sure the service name and IP
> address(es) are what's really being used.
>
> Phil

Hi, Phil (and the others who wrote with suggestions):

I've tried running nsca under inetd, both with and without tcp
wrappers. I've tried opening up /etc/hosts.allow, on both the central
server (running nsca) and the distributed server (running send_nsca).
Nothing seems to work.

Although nsca runs fine as a standalone daemon, it stubbornly refuses
to run under inetd, yielding the following message on the distributed
server if I attempt to run send_nsca manually:

# ./send_nsca {arguments}
Error: Server closed connection before init packet was received
Error: Could not read init packet from server

I'm stumped. Any other thoughts?

As a side thought... what are the costs and benefits of running nsca
under inetd as opposed to as a standalone daemon? My efforts to run
nsca under inetd may be moot, depending on the answer to that question.

Yours,
Michael