mail notifications

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Jan 13 19:38:36 CET 2004

Can
> someone give me a service that will give a warning status? Am I
correct
> that
> with the service written below, the parameters specifies the warning
and
> critical values?
>
> check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
>
> Then if I put w,c in notification options, I will get email too?

Yes, you'll get a WARNING notification when the RTA is >= 100ms or the
packet loss is >= 20% and a CRITICAL when the RTA is >= 500ms or the
packet loss is greater that 60%.

> If I correctly understood it, how would I simulate this service to
fail on
> the host I am monitoring without shutting down the host?

Either generate enough traffic to the host to cause one or more of the
conditions above or significantly lower your thresholds for testing
purposes or use a testing host that you can specifically degrade or
disable.

--
Marc