Nagios Status Map - Center of the universe

Quanah Gibson-Mount quanah at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 12 21:46:56 CET 2004

--On Monday, January 12, 2004 12:33 PM -0800 Nic Olinsky
<olinskyn at sunnyside.wednet.edu> wrote:

> The Nagios process is the machine running Nagios. It will always be the
> center of the Status Map universe. Where other devices are in relationship
> to the Nagios Process is determined by the parent configuration.

I still maintain this is wrong.  If you are trying to set up redundant
Nagios servers for failover purposes, the statusmap is completely in
correct for the second server, especially if it is located in a completely
different area.  I think it would be much better to be able to tell the
nagios servers what its parents are as well as the parents of all the other
systems, and then draw a universe-centric view based upon that information,
so *any* nagios server would be correct.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer