just installed nagios can't start.

todd toddm at go-des.net
Mon Jan 12 15:13:19 CET 2004

I just install nagios for the first time.  I have read all the
documentation, but can not find the answer.

When i go to start the program i get this:

Nagios 1.1
Copyright (c) 1999-2003 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
Last Modified: 06-02-2003
License: GPL

Nagios 1.1 starting... (PID=19240)
Warning: Cannot open log file '/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log' for
writing
Error: Could not create external command file
'/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd' as named pipe: (13) -> Permission
denied.  If this file already exists and you are sure that another copy
of Nagios is not running, you should delete this file.

Warning: Cannot open log file '/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log' for
writing
Bailing out due to errors encountered while trying to open the external
command
file for reading... (PID=19240)

# does anyone knows what i should do?
as far as i know there is not another nagios running and the file they
talk about is not there.  I am running under root.