Event Managers

lilesb at ijet.com lilesb at ijet.com
Fri Jan 9 17:55:10 CET 2004

This might be a bit off topic, but is anyone using any type of event
management or even correlation app with Nagios?  Nagios is real good at what
it does.  I point it at a host; I can monitor memory, disk, ping times and
the like.

Monitoring more abstract items is a little flaky.  How do I monitor a web
application?  A web application can have many parts ranging from web servers
to databases to application servers and the physical hosts they run on.

I have written some code that takes inputs from many types of sources to
actually be able to see the "health" of a service, not just the "health" of
its resources.  Currently, my application can accept syslog, snmptraps,
emails and Nagios alert messages.  It will then look at the sub of the parts
and try to determine what is really happening and alert on that.  I guess
I'm trying to take my monitoring to the next level.

Is there any interest in this?