monitor network usage of a host?

Spyou spyou at club-internet.fr
Fri Jan 9 10:25:03 CET 2004

At 02:56 09/01/2004, Joel Lopez wrote:
>is it possible to find out if a machine is uploading copies of DVD's to
>the net or if a machine is affected with the slammer virus and generating
>massive amouts of network traffic?
>
>Basically can I be alerted if a machine is using more than normal bandwith?

You've got to define what is "normal" and what is "anormal"

Then, a simple check_snmp will be enough to get the network trafic graphed
(eg. with RRD)

Finaly, you'll have to monitor this graph (eg "what is the last 10 minuts
max network load on this graph") and send outs alerts if treshold matches

  'Spyou' - www.spyou.org - root at spyou.org
     #gtr / ircnet.kaptech.fr - UIN : 6871374

Please, tell me who i am !
- Supertramps