E-mail Messaging - Linux - RedHat 9.0

Andrew Howe chairmanhowe at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 7 12:34:17 CET 2004

I have a Nagios 1.1 installation which is up and
running and monitoring servers successfully on a
REDHAT 9.0 Box.

E-Mail notification is working successfully when
Nagios is sending mail to nagios at localhost.localdomain

I would like to send e-mail messages via a SMTP
server.

I have the SMTP server details and have successfully
configured and sent mail using Ximiam Evolution.  I
have configured this for both my Root and Nagios
Accounts.  However Having set up Nagios 1.1 with the
correct "Contact Details" which which to send external
e-mail I am not receiving messages sent via the smtp
mail server.  These do not appear to be getting logged
either.

As I understand it I do not have to configure sendmail
and would prefer not to.  I have spent time doing that
as well all to no avail.

There are no firewall settings and port restictions.

Any Help would be grately appreciated.

regards

Andrew